AGENDA: CIVIC ENGAGEMENT
- Introduce club members, club officers and club advisors.
- Use these ice breakers to get to know one another.
- Introduce any guests.
- Report on service projects completed at home after the last meeting.
- Share the first service project committee report. Share what has been planned to date, discuss remaining plans to be made and assign members to each task the day of the event.
- What is Civic Engagement? (One definition: civic Engagement is working to make a difference in the life of your community.)
- What kinds of activities come from Civic Engagement? (Examples: Vote, volunteer for political campaigns, work to register voters, community cleanup, help seniors, etc.)
- View this short YouTube video: “What is Civic Engagement?”
- Reflect and answer these questions: Whose job is it to solve the community’s problems? (Business, government, charities, and people, etc.) How can people solve problems? (A shared understanding of the community’s needs and collaboration.) How do people make a difference? (Volunteering, organizing, fundraising, etc.)
Service project – Clubs in the U.S.
- View the video: “Voting Rights for People with Disabilities.”
- Plan to make posters about the importance of voting. Decide which members will do what items. (Resources for creating posters online: Canva.
- For an alternative project, refer to your lists from the last meeting and determine a project that could be done at home. Let everyone know what materials will be needed. The instructions can be given during the meeting, and the members can finish it before the next meeting.
Service project – Clubs outside the U.S.
- How can your voices and opinions be expressed to elected officials in the government? What current topics do you have an interest in as you serve your facility and community through Aktion Club?
- Refer to your lists from the last meeting and determine a project that could be done at home.
Let everyone know what materials will be needed.
- The instructions can be given during the meeting, and the members can finish it before the meeting.
- Thank everyone for their participation and especially thank the guests.
- Give details about the next meeting.
Download the Civic Engagement Agenda